Jan 13, 2009

Just a reflection

I went through the attic today. I've been slaving over boxes filled with my childhood, in preparation for my location change to California. While I was dodging mouse traps and tripping over boxes stuffed with christmas decorations, I noticed a stack of vinyl in the back. Now, I've seen this stack plenty of times when I was younger but for some reason I never picked them up and checked them out.



I think it's because they're my dad's old records and I automatically assumed they weren't that interesting. When I was young I didn't realize that me and my dad would have similar tastes in music. Don't get me wrong, he was supportive of everything I did, even if he had no way to relate to it.





So today it really hit me.. My dad (and mom) aren't just the people who drove me to baseball, or the loud people cheering for me at karate tournaments. They were young at one point and went through the same things I did.


(Earth, Wind & Fire album art)

I guess the reason I wasn't expecting to like his records is because he passed on when I was thirteen years old, and there wasn't much ground to relate. To contrast, I just wanted to watch Dragon Ball Z, while he...well, he took care of my mother, brother, and I.



Now it's ten years later and I'd like to believe I'm a little more mature. I just wish I had a chance to listen to these records together with him.

Peace,
Mikey McMikenstein

No comments: